Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Week 4

Last week was much like the last. Coachings, lessons, classes, etc. I saw Don Giovanni on Thursday at the Festiplehaus (sp?). What an amazing opera and set, etc. The singers were only ok in my opinion, but the rest of the production was super! (a word in Austria they use a lot)

This weekend we had the midterm concert on Friday evening, then to dinner, and out for drinks. We took a tour of the Festival House Complex Saturday morning at 8:30am which was an ungodly time, but I was happy I went. The three stages they have there are all very elaborate, expensive, and old. Margaret and I stopped by the market to get her some breakfast afterwards, to the college to get our things, then back to the Billroth to take a nap.

Meganne Torkelson, my friend from Drake, is living in Leipzig these days teaching and took the train down to see me in Salzburg for the weekend. We decided to go to the Ice Caves which is in Werfen. We took a train, which was 35 minutes late, and when we got there, the bus taking us to the caves wasn’t running anymore. We were SO MAD!! There was also a castle there, so we hiked instead up this super-steep hill to the castle, saw a few museums, took some breath-taking photos, and had a beer and fries at the cafe. The weather was just the right temperature with a slight breeze, so we were in heaven.

We took the train back to Salzburg, showered, and got dressed to go out for the evening. We went to dinner at this place called Afro Cafe, which was an African/Caribbean-influenced restaurant. The ambiance was very good. We wanted to go to our favorite haunt in Salzburg, Republic Cafe, but there was a seven Euro cover, so we went across the street to Humbolt, our second favorite haunt.

The next morning, Meganne and I walked the streets of Salzburg and I showed her the main sights. I had to drop her off at the train station and I was sad to see her go. :-(

No comments:

This is not an official page of Drake University. Content, comments and information are not necessarily those of Drake University.

eXTReMe Tracker